Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summertime Earl Grey by Simpson & Vail

Seller Description: "Don't let the name fool you, this tea can be enjoyed anytime of the year! The tea brews to a dark amber cup with a smooth, refreshing, light peach taste and subtle Earl Grey undertones."
Classifications: Kosher
Directions: Brew tea at 212º - steep for 3 minutes. 
Cost: $7.20/4oz

Summertime Earl Grey
Teaware: 16oz tetsubin and depression glass cup
Measured dry: 1 tbsp
Water Temperature: Boiling
Steeping Time: 3 minutes
Additives: 1 tbsp Sugar in the Raw initially, a second added later

Another sample from Simpson & Vail! After my first tea this morning, I was still craving something fun and fruity. I sniffed through the samples a bit, and zeroed in on this peach!

At the first waft, I couldn't help but think back to family road trips and summers of camping by Olallie Lake. It wasn't until I looked at the seller's description that I understood why! It smells like peach fruit leather - not the artificial tinge of Fruit Roll-Ups, but the real dried fruit taste of the kind you get in the natural foods section.

Steeped Tea
Steeped... mmm. Okay, give me a moment while I savor my happy place. It just tastes so fresh and fruity - this is exactly what I was craving! I love how each sip is bringing back memories - the florescent orange whistles we wore everywhere around the lake, the warmth of the sun as my best friend Katie and I took their canoe out on the water, my little sister diving in after fishing lures... oh, it's morning sunshine in a cup!

Like the Citrus Paradisi, I can't really taste the traditional Earl Grey flavor profile. If the bergamot is in here it's well hidden. This is more of a peach black than an Earl Grey, but it's so good I just don't care! It's my new favorite peach tea, and I just couldn't resist making iced tea with it.


Summertime Earl Grey - Iced
I poured it over a glass of ice, and took a sip. Based on the smell, I kind of expected the peach to taste much richer, but it did gain more depth. I was surprised at how much more prominent the black tea blend became, but it didn't detract from the taste. I'm glad I tried this, but I do prefer it hot. 

Overall, this is a very tasty tea with a wonderful capacity for brining back shiny summer memories!

Prominent Notes: Peach!
Aftertaste: Black tea blend
Overall: Just tasty and wonderful - a new cupboard staple!

No comments:

Post a Comment