Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Earl Grey Creme by Della Terra Teas

Seller Description: "If you love Earl Grey you will adore our Earl Grey Creme. It has the classic Earl Grey flavoring matched with a delicious creme. Ingredients: Black tea, bergamot orange oil, cream flavor. Allergens: Contains dairy. Suggested Brewing Tips: Serving Size: 1 tsp/6-8oz water. Water Temperature: 210 degres Fahrenheit. Steep Time: 2-3 minutes."
Cost: $6.50/2oz

Teaware: Starbucks travel mug, pinch tea infuser.
Measured dry: 2 tsp
Water Temperature: Boiling
Steeping Time: 4-5 minutes (forgot to set the timer)
Additives: 1-1/2 tbsp Sugar in the Raw, dash milk

Earl Grey Creme
This is my first Earl Grey Creme, and I just learned an important lesson – don’t add milk to an Earl Grey Creme before you try it!

I was in a rush this morning, and just made it the same way I make my usual EG: Into the travel mug with the pinch-open infuser ball 1/2 full for 4-5 min, 1-1/2 tbsp Sugar in the Raw, and a moderate dash of milk.
My first sip was like drinking creamer with milk! I sealed it back up and gave it a really good shake, but the next drinks were the same. It’s difficult to even taste the EG at all. I’m deliberately not rating this yet, and I think another cup tomorrow morning is a must in order to suss out what this tea is really like.
Update: Tried this without adding milk, and it was much better! The cream still overwhelms the EG, but at least now it has more of a presence. I may keep a small amount of this on hand for a change now and again, but I doubt it will ever be a larger order. The fact that I can’t see what causes the cream flavor weirds me out a bit.

Prominent Notes: Cream, cream, and more cream!
Aftertaste: Cream!
Overall: This is more cream than tea, and will not be part of the final tier.

No comments:

Post a Comment