Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Earl Grey Lavender by Rishi Tea

Seller Description: "Our contemporary version of this classic blend was developed in French tea salons and has pleased the palate and raised the eyebrows of more than a few Earl Grey purists. Earl Grey Lavender is handcrafted in small batches and infused with pure essentials oils of real fruit and flowers."
Classifications: Organic and Fair Trade
Directions: 1 tablespoon per 8oz, 212 degrees Fahrenheit, steep 3-5 minutes
Cost: $4.00/oz

Teaware: 16oz tetsubin and depression glass cup
Measured dry: 3 tsp
Water Temperature: Boiling
Steeping Time: 3 minutes
Additives: 2tbsp Sugar in the Raw

While I was in graduate school, my friend Drea and I rented an adorable house in Portland's Hawthorne District. Like so many homes there, ours was a bit of a hodgepodge of second-hand and hand-me-down furniture. It was cheerful chaos, and everything kind of meshed in the way that nothing matched but it was all wonderful and unique. Our front porch did not escape. It was dominated by a green swing, covered in tropical floral cushions. Spiders loved it, but so did we. I remember taking breaks from studying or grading, lounging on that swing and watching the people who passed by. Piercings and tattoos, yuppie and hippie alike - and often accompanied by the strangest variations of canines. You've got to give it to Portland - we have wonderful people-watching! 

Earl Grey Lavender - Rishi
Just in front of the swing, the front flower bed was dominated by a solid block of lavender. Even though I'm still stuck here in Dallas, this tea just took me back to those deliciously lazy summer moments on that swing. 

This is the second Earl Grey Lavender I've tried during this project, and not only does it taste amazing, you also get the pleasure of knowing each cup is both Free Trade and organic. 

I've tried floral teas before that have tasted like I'd dunked my tongue into a vial of perfume, but this is smooth and fresh. This tea finds a gorgeous balance between the notes - it stays true to the flavor profile of an Earl Grey, but kicks things up a notch with the addition of the lavender. Neither dominates, nor does either go after your taste buds with a sledgehammer - they twine and play together beautifully. A sinuous dance inside the cup!

Steeped Earl Grey Lavender

I am so glad that I made a full pot of this, as I just can't seem to get enough of it! Thank you again, Short Sorceress, for the Steepster swap that gave me the opportunity to try this wonderful tea!

Prominent Notes: Lavender and Bergamot
Aftertaste: Black tea blend
Overall: The best Earl Grey Lavender yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment