Sunday, November 24, 2013

Santa's Secret by DAVIDsTEA



Seller Description: "Ever wonder how Santa manages to deliver all those presents in just one night? Well here’s the hush-hush formula. He uses a special combination of Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves and spices – all sprinkled with real little candy canes. It’s both energizing and remarkably soothing. All Santa needs is one cup and his motto changes from “ho ho ho” to “go go go”.
Ingredients: Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves, candy cane sprinkles, natural and artificial flavoring.
WebsiteSanta's Secret by DAVIDsTEA
Sample source: Purchased

Teaware: 16oz glass infuser mug
Measured dry: 3 teaspoons
Water Temperature: 212º F
Steeping Time: 5 minutes
Additives: 4 teaspoons of raw sugar

As soon as I opened the tin, one thought jumped to the forefront of my mind: This smells like the illegitimate love child of a candy cane and a thin mint. The blend lines up with the posted ingredients, all the way down to the teeny tiny (and rather adorable) candy canes hiding among the leaves.

Once steeped, the level of peppermint jumped from the sweet nip of a thin mint to the bite of a peppermint patty. And like the cream inside a patty, this tea is surprisingly thick and somewhat syrupy. I can barely pick out the black tea base at all.

While the tea was enjoyable, I did have some issues with the packaging. I only needed a little bit for this project, so instead of shelling out for a much larger package (especially when I don't know if I'll like it or not) I went for the cute little stackable tin, which I figured I could easily reuse once I was done with the tea.

What I hadn't figured on was how loose and unreliable the lid would be. I've run into this problem before, with their standard tins. I actually lost half a tin's worth of tea because it fell open. I didn't think they'd use the same (defective) format for this small tin, but alas.

But back to the tea. This is definitely a dessert tea, because it tastes and feels so much like you're actually drinking candy. While this might be an occasional treat, it is way too rich to be anything more frequent than that.

Prominent Notes: Peppermint and a hint of black tea
Aftertaste: Peppermint and chocolate
Overall: A little over-the top sweet, but good for an occasional treat

No comments:

Post a Comment