Saturday, November 9, 2013

Gingerbread by DAVIDsTEA


Seller Description: "For the past four years, all we wanted for Christmas was a gingerbread tea. Every winter, we’ve pestered David for a spicy-sweet, festive tea. But he just couldn’t find the perfect blend…until now. And with its warm, comforting aromas of ginger, cinnamon and molasses, this rich rooibos tea totally worth the wait."
Ingredients: Rooibos, green rooibos, honeybush, cinnamon, currants, crystalized ginger, pineapple, safflower petals, natural and artificial flavouring.
WebsiteGingerbread by DAVIDsTEA
Sample source: Purchased


Teaware: Abalone China cup, Japan, Shy Flowers pattern
Measured dry: 1-1/4 teaspoons
Water Temperature: 212º F
Steeping Time: 5 minutes
Additives: 2 teaspoons of raw sugar

This was my first sniff of DAVIDsTEA's holiday lineup, and when I opened the tin I was hit not with the lovely bite of ginger but instead with the somewhat bizarre flavor of the molasses bourbon pecan pie I made a couple Thanksgivings ago.

The pie has not been repeated since (hint: if you make a pie with alcohol, it's better if you actually like it!), so you can understand why I was a little hesitant to steep this up at first. It helped that I found a cute little cup at the local second-hand shop and needed an excuse to take pretty pictures of it!

The rooibos and honeybush are definitely the most dominant flavors in this tea, followed by the molasses, and leaving the hint of gingerbready goodness to take up the rear.

There is an incredible sweetness to this cup, and if I hadn't been looking for the specific flavor profile I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I'm also not wild about all the small particles shifting around in the bottom of the cup. I'm a big texture girl (ask me some time about trying native foods in Alaska!), and I really hate to go for a sip and end up chewing.

Prominent Notes: Rooibos and Honeybush
Aftertaste: Molasses and gingerbread
Overall: While I'm not blown away it's still a nice way to wind down after a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment