Thursday, November 28, 2013

Nutcracker Sweet by Celestial Seasonings

Our Thanksgiving meal has been all packed up, and the kitchen is now clean. Time to light some candles, sit back, and enjoy the moment. I decided to make up a cup of this tea next because it's so difficult to pigeonhole, and my curiosity has been tweaked.




Ingredients: Black tea, natural vanilla extract with other natural flavors and cinnamon.
WebsiteNutcracker Sweet by Celestial Seasonings
Sample source: Provided


Teaware: 8oz cup and saucer
Measured dry: 1 sachet
Water Temperature: 212º F
Steeping Time: 4 minutes
Additives: 3 teaspoons of raw sugar

Now, I do focus on loose leaf teas, but when I want something that's a little more accessible, this is the route I like to go. A big part of that is their focus on sustainability. It actually says on the box that, "With no string, tag, staple or wrapper, our natural fiber tea bag keeps 3.5 million pounds of waste out of landfills every year." Aside from the missing Oxford comma, that's something I can get behind!

Opening the box, the dry smell is sweet and very difficult to place. There's the barest hint of cinnamon, and something vaguely cookie-like. Very curious.

It wasn't until the steep was over and I took my first sip that I could finally place it. Drinking this tea is like nibbling on a snickerdoodle cookie! It's a little nuttier, and it tastes like something else (nutmeg, maybe?) was mixed in with the cinnamon-sugar coating, but yeah... snickerdoodle. Not just the dough, either. This has the same browned quality of the sugar that's melted and caramelized on the bottom of the cooke.

Strangely enough, this does actually remind me of the nutcracker, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Is it the slight nuttiness? The scent of cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar?

I may have to make up another cup and ponder this further.

Prominent Notes: Sugar cookie, vanilla, and a slight nuttiness
Aftertaste: Black tea and cinnamon with maybe a hint of nutmeg
Overall: Snickerdoodle cookies without the calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment