Saturday, September 7, 2013

Exotique by Chado Tea Room


Seller DescriptionA classic Nilgiri tea blended with Blue Mallow Blossoms and then flavored with a delicious flavors of Bergamot, Passion Fruit, Rose and a hint of vanilla.
Website: Exotique by Chado Tea Room
Sample source: Steepster Swap

Teaware: Royal Albert cup and saucer
Measured dry: 1 teaspoon
Water Temperature: Boiling
Steeping Time: 4 minutes
Additives: 2 teaspoons of raw sugar

This is a very curious tea, and I'm not entirely certain what to make of it. Knowing that I was trying to round out the lineup for the Battle of the Earl Greys, Dinosara was kind enough to include some of this when she sent me the Lupicia Earl Grey.

She had labeled it "Earl Grey Exotique" but when I searched the Chado Tea Room's website for Earl Grey, it didn't come up with the other Earl Greys. I discovered that while it was listed under the Earl Grey category, it did not actually carry the title.

Sipping it now, I kind of understand why. It is definitely unique, and refuses to be easily pigeonholed. I do get a little bit of the Earl Grey flavor profile, but it's not a cream nor a floral, and as it cools what I assume are the the passionfruit and mallow blossoms become more prominent. The astringency increases as well. It was much better hot. It's not quite what I'm looking for with this project, but I am glad that I got a chance to try this, because it is so interesting.

Prominent Notes: Nilgiri tea and rose
Aftertaste: Slightly creamy, with hints of vanilla and bergamot
Overall: Curiouser and curiouser...

No comments:

Post a Comment