Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Earl Grey Bravo by Adagio Teas

Seller Description: "A classic blend of premium black tea from Sri Lanka, flavored with bergamot (a citrus fruit). The perfect afternoon tea: zesty and exhilarating fresh citrus aroma, slightly dry to the nose, with a rounded and balanced orange rind flavor to match the tang of the Ceylon. Pleasantly dry finish with lingering citrus sweetness."
Directions: 1tsp/8oz, steep at 212 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-3 minutes.
Cost: $6/3oz

Earl Grey Bravo by Adagio
Teaware: 16oz capacity hand-thrown mug
Measured dry: 2 tsp
Water Temperature: Boiling
Steeping Time: 3 minutes
Additives: 1-1/2 tbsp Sugar in the Raw

So my search for the best Earl Grey has brought me here, by way of a delightful Steepster swap with moraiwe. This is my seventh EG in three weeks, and I can’t wait to see how it stacks up against the rest!
With my sore throat and less-than enthusiastic outlook on anything remotely complicated this morning, I opted for my big pottery mug with a pinch infuser ball. I filled the ball a little over half-way, dumped in 2 spoonfulls of Sugar in the Raw, and steeped for 3min.
My first impression is that I’m drinking entirely too much EG! This is more… full than others I’ve tried, and the various notes seem stronger without the cream that’s somehow infused several of the others. The creams do continue to weird me out when I can’t locate the source of their creaminess, so this one’s lack of pretentiousness is refreshing. It is simply and straightforwardly, an EG, and a delightful one at that. I like how strong the bergamot notes are, and how well they twine with the other flavors. I’m glad that Moraiwe sent such a generous amount, so that I will have it in my cupboard to return to later!

Update 6/17: Summer vacation is truly here, so I broke out the teapot but used the same amounts as last time. I still love the balance of this one, but I'm tasting a hint of vanilla that I didn't notice before. It's just making me like it more!

Prominent Notes: Bergamot
Aftertaste: Vanilla
Overall: This is a contender!

No comments:

Post a Comment